So far, this pregnancy has been treating me well! I did have morning sickness until about 4 weeks ago, which was longer than last time, but it still wasn't too bad. With Daren, my morning sickness ceased at ~13 weeks, so when I was 18 weeks and still feeling the effects of it, I was convinced we were having a girl! You know "mother's intuition"? Well, I don't think I have it, since I thought both of my boys were going to be girls. Maybe it's just that I'm not tuning into my intuition and paying more attention to my wishful thinking? I don't know why I want a girl so much, girls can be a pain, haha! Of course boys can be too, but in different ways that I think I can handle better, which is probably why I've been graced with boys thus far. If I could have just one girl though, that would be fun. Whatever happens though--bottom line is: I love my KIDS!! I haven't met most of them yet, but whichever gender they are, no matter how sick they make me while I'm pregnant, and no matter how crazy they can be, I will always be so grateful and happy to have them!This time around, I've definitely been having cravings, but not for weird things. Usually it's Mexican food, Italian food, desserts or Wendy's (my favorite fast food restaurant--where else can you get a delicious breaded chicken sandwich for a $1?!). To cut down on eating out with these strong cravings, I've improvised with homemade meals, such as chicken Alfredo made with cauliflower (see the recipe HERE), homemade "Olive Garden" breadsticks (see recipe HERE) and buying breaded chicken patties/making my own buns from scratch (see recipe HERE). Healthy and thrifty!
Baby is the size of an eggplant!
Putting on layers of fat, baby now
weighs in around 1.5 to 2.5 pounds and measures about 13.6 to 14.8 inches. |
Now as I'm posting this, I'm actually at 28 weeks! Crazy! I guess this means that I'm officially in the third trimester, which is awesome and nerve racking at the same time. I'm not nervous to give birth, since this is obviously not my first time in this kind of rodeo, but I'm nervous that the baby might come early like Daren did (at 38 weeks). One problem with him coming early is I'm delivering at the University of Utah Hospital, which is 55 miles away! (This is because the best heart surgeons in the nation reside there, and will be ready to provide him with the immediate care he'll need. --Which is such a blessing too, thank goodness it's not any farther away!) Not to mention, it could be worse for him to be born early in his condition, so I'm going to be doing everything I can to keep this kid contained! That includes keeping Daren off my back--literally. Yesterday, Daren and I went on a walk and he walked by himself most of the way, but wanted me to carry him on the way home. So I did, and it wasn't long before I felt a huge strain in my side, as if a portion of tissue was tearing, and I immediately put him down. And so I vow from this day forward to never carry Daren again during this pregnancy (sorry buddy).
Other than that, this pregnancy has been fairly smooth sailing, besides finding out about the baby's heart condition. If you haven't heard, our baby has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, which is basically when the left ventricle is too small to function. Thanks to modern technology and recent advances in treating this issue, our doctors have confirmed the diagnosis and are taking the necessary precautions to welcome our baby into the world with the best care possible. At one week old, baby boy will have his first open heart surgery where the surgeons will build a new aorta for him (as you can see in the picture, the aorta (the red tube coming up from the left ventricle) is also smaller than normal, so not enough blood can pass through it). Eventually, after two more surgeries (all performed before he's 4 years old), the heart will be made to almost fully and properly function without the left ventricle. We don't know what his life expectancy will be, as this procedure is only about 20 years old, but there is great hope for him to have a full and happy life.For more information on his condition and how it will be treated, click HERE.
![]() |
| Baby's profile back when he was 20 weeks, so cute and perfect! |
It is hard already knowing that my sweet baby is going to experience this incredible trial as soon as he enters this world, but we are so grateful that we'll have the privilege to give him the love and support he'll need in his life. It's also hard not knowing what's going to happen to him, and how everything is going to work out, but we are learning to let our fears and unknowns be swallowed up by the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I'm so full of gratitude for the Plan of Salvation and the sealing power of the Priesthood, because I know that our lives as a family will continue after we pass from this world, as we keep our promises with the Lord to follow His will. His will is the path to true joy and fulfillment, because He is omnipotent and he loves us completely. I am certain that the struggles our family, especially our baby, will have to endure in this trial will bring us closer together and closer to God, and it will all be invariably worth it.
We could not thank you enough for all your love, prayers and support. Through the Lord and each of you, we have been able to find great strength and hope. May the Lord bless you as He has us. We love you!
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment