As you may have heard, I got sick earlier this month. Was it because I was pregnant? Sadly no, it wasn't, but part of it (the part where I felt like I had a fever/chills, nausea) could have definitely been due to the fact that I seriously thought I was and desperately (maybe that's too strong of a word...but it works lol) wanted to be pregnant. I'm thinking that was the case because after taking a trip to the doctor I found out the other part of it--my incessant and ginormous headaches that I had been having for over a week--were being caused by me not keeping my head level. I had been tilting my head so often to look at the computer at work and at home that it was causing the headaches!
So I was pretty bummed, but in a way I'm slightly relieved I'm not pregnant yet. It was kind of weird during the week I thought I was pregnant, thinking I could have a baby in 9 months. Kurtis being the skeptic he is never actually believed me when I told him I thought I was, but for the moment he considered the thought, he started freaking out about money which frankly, I'm not too worried about--really, we'll be fine. :) Anyway, looking back I think it was a good experience for me to go through because I realized I don't know if I'm all that ready. Of course we're not going to delay having children at all because of this realization, but now I'm not as anxious about it all, it'll happen when Heavenly Father--not I--want it to. I also read online today that being stressed about it will actually lessen the chances of getting pregnant, "because stress can affect the functioning of the hypothalamus — the gland in the brain that regulates your appetite and emotions", which also signals when ovulation should occur. So basically, I need to take a chill pill and enjoy life!
Ok, enough about me and getting over fertility blues haha... A while ago, Kurtis had signed up for the Intermountain Pre-Med Conference, which was held last weekend, but he couldn't get work off so I went for him. It was actually pretty fun, especially because they served us a hearty breakfast and lunch--score!! So I went to the workshops that Kurtis wanted me to go to ("Emergency Med", "Family Practice", and "Huntsman Cancer Research") and then went to pick Kurtis up from work and brough him back to the conference so he could attend the last workshop ("How to Be an Outstanding Applicant") and hear the keynote speaker (ELDER RUSSELL M. NELSON!!) speak.
Everything was so helpful, we learned a lot! We especially loved to hear Elder Nelson speak, especially because he spoke to us like we were his grandchildren, just very personal and conversational. He told us about his experience in the medical world and gave us some of the best advice I've ever heard. (To read about his comments, click here). This is what I got from it: (1) be diligent and steadfast in obeying the word of God, (2) balance your career with the gospel and your family, and (3) you can always be happy even when you're poor as long as you desire for eternal characteristics instead of material goods (spend money ONLY on what you absolutely need). Kurtis and I have been a bit worried about him having enough time to spend with the family while he's in med school and having enough money to get through it all, but after hearing him speak, we feel so much more optimistic about the future. :)
Moral of the story, DON'T STRESS!! It's a good thing it's summer too because it's so much easier to enjoy the blessings of life when there's beautiful weather! OH and when there's beautiful and so much produce that's in season!
| Oh, and there was a 5 lb. bag of apples too! |
Oh yes, lovely lovely produce that I got all for $15! Yeah, that's right, $15!!! Best deal of my life! Courtesy of Bountiful Baskets (now serving in 14 states including Idaho!). Yes, even this is yet another source of joy in our lives. :)
So don't forget to find the joy in every day and don't stress, as long as your only worry is staying close to Christ, I promise you'll be incredibly happy! Love you all!
My husband and I were talking about doing Bountiful Baskets last night. Now I'm convinced that we really should!
ReplyDelete