7.21.2012

All good things never come to an end

Tragedies have a way of making us all reflect on our lives, wonder why bad things would ever happen, and sometimes make us want to shun whatever could potentially cause us pain. Since the unfortunate shooting at a theater in Aurora, CO, I've heard (read) a lot of people saying how they'll never go to a midnight showing, or even a movie theater ever again. As I've thought about my own reaction, I realize the fact is, there is always a risk of losing our lives or the lives of our loved ones, it doesn't matter where we are or when. Bad things happen because of poor choices we individually make, and if we let ourselves become afraid of what we can't control, we might as well shut ourselves up in our homes in fear of ensuing risk. The reality of this tragedy shows that there is risk in everything, and life is fragile. So the question is not why bad things happen, but how we will deal with what we are faced with.

When our own losses come, over time I think it's necessary to realize that death is inevitable and bad things are only temporary. I don't believe that God purposely takes someone's life to punish us, or because he cares about some more than others. We're all equally loved, and because we are loved, we've been blessed with the gift to choose. Since our individual actions can be good or bad, of course bad things could happen, and when bad things happen we immediately want to blame it on something or someone. God is often thought to be the one to blame, though I believe if He decided to intercede (by, for example, not allowing someone to die), He would take away the consequences of our choices, which would accomplish nothing.

Choices, made by others, are out of our control, meaning there will be times when we can't explain why we were caused pain because the choice that created the consequence was made by a series of others' choices. As painful as consequences--caused by ourselves or others--are, I believe God ensures that all the consequences we endure, good and bad, eventually piece together to create a complete puzzle of lasting happiness. I know this to be true, because I see it in my life every day; if bad things wouldn't have ever happened to me, I wouldn't be able to recognize the value of good in my life. My heart aches for those who were affected by the choice of a young and sadly confused man, and I want them to know, as I do, that they will all see their loved ones again. I know a loving Father in Heaven would never keep anything good from us forever, as long as we strive to be worthy. Mistakes will come, as the mistake of this young man, but in truth the only thing we can do is take responsibility for our own mistakes, then continue in good and hope the best for others. Good will come according to what we do with the consequences we face, no matter how they were caused.

No comments:

Post a Comment